Monday, January 24, 2011

The Subject of the Matter....

I think we adults need to be careful downplaying any subject or skill in front of children.
Let's avoid making commentaries like-
Oh it's just art.
It's religion; it's not like it's a real class.
No one pays attention to grammar rules anymore anyway.
Believe me. In ten years it won't matter if you can figure out what X + Y means.
I've heard these types of statements in different situations.
..... from parents who don't understand how a child can earn a C in a religion class. (The disbelief is that a teacher would GIVE a student a C in religion.)
......from a parent who dismissed a negative behavior comment from an art teacher.
......from a tutor who thought my grammar emphasis was out of date.
Guess what?
Art IS the gift some children have.
Religion class IS where some students feel most at home.
Grammar skills offer many children a way to exercise their brains and hone their language skills so that they can become polished writers and effective speakers.
Some kids love analyzing words the same way others love to work out math problems.
I've heard from adults ..it's not like anyone cares if a verb is in the indicative mood or the subjunctive mood. (Accompanied by an eye roll.)
Actually. there ARE some kids who care, but if they hear US make comments like these, I bet they wont' care a whole lot anymore.
Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us,
each of us is to exercise them accordingly...Romans 12:6
post signature

8 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Knowing about different religions will create a well-rounded student. You can see into people's hearts and minds by beginning with what they believe.

Why would people pay to have their children attend a Catholic school and then downplay faith?

My religion classes in college were invaluable to me--they provided a world view.

Cheryl Lage said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!

It saddens me so to see anyone downplay something that is sacred or a gift to another.

This is a perfect post, and I hope many, many read it....and remember it.

GrandmaK said...

Well, you won't get an argument from me! I actually enjoyed diagramming a sentence...don't know if i could do it correctly anymore but it was a challenge...Some of us need more of a challenge than others! ;) Some of us ARE more of a challenge than others!!! :) Have a grand day!! Cathy

Terra said...

ah yes, hmmmmm....I do wish I had listened better in grammar class, cared a little more and as my children age I find myself trying desperately to remember what x+y might equal....

Bia said...

when i was teaching high school spanish i had a student who was on academic probation because of grades ... not only was he doing poorly in my class, but in two others as well.

when we met with the parents, they were miffed because they didn't think spanish was a "real subject" and objected that it was my class keeping him from sports, etc.


i remember thinking: no wonder that poor boy is doing badly in three classes ... if his own parents don't take it seriously, how will he ever succeed?

good post, Mrs. Catholic School Teacher!

Lisa said...

AMEN! This is so well stated and so true!

Christine said...

I cannot remember a thing I learned in 5th grade religion but I remember I got a D- on the back of a holy card.

My parents didn't help me with any of my school work. They had huge problems of their own. They did expect the teacher to "do it all".

Teachers sometimes need to understand that the kids are getting nothing at home. They need to see that caring face in you.

great post.

Mum2eight said...

Amen from me too.