Monday, February 7, 2011

Bright Beginnings

This year, as we considered what we might like to do for a Catholic Schools Week schoolwide service project, I searched around the internet to find a DC school or shelter that could use some support.
What I found was a small school in the city called Bright Beginnings which serves homeless families by providing infant, toddler, and pre-k classes throughout the week. After a few emails and several questions, I discovered that they often run in short supply of everyday school and daycare items.
Our classrooms collected diapers, markers, stationery, colored pencils, construction paper and other school supplies to keep this noble little facility running fully stocked for several weeks. Even in the aftermath of the "thundersnow" that disrupted many of our school families' lives, our community came through with donations.
I woke up this morning remembering that tomorrow my co-worker and I will be driving the supplies over there, meeting the fabulous teachers, and taking a tour of the school.
Looking forward to it.
post signature
Visit Cheryl and you will have a bright beginning to your week too!

10 comments:

GrandmaK said...

What grand idea. I'll bet their contribution to the community cannot be over stated! Have a wonderful day! Cathy

Terra said...

what a fantastic project! I wish your students could go with you for the delivery. Once a month my 6th graders class goes to the downtown soup kitchen to work through lunch and clean up - it is a phenomenal experience!!!

Colleen said...

What a great idea. I just love Catholic schools and the charities they can provide for. Public schools could take a hint.

Debbie said...

What a wonderful way for the kids to reach out to their peers! That is terrific and I can't wait to hear about your visit.

Amy said...

What a great project! I can't wait for my kids to get a little older so that we can start doing volunteer activities! Thanks for visiting my blog!

The Smiths said...

Fabulous idea! I love it!
Definitely a Monday maker...pretty much an anytime maker!

Cheryl Lage said...

What a bright beginning to your week! Fantastic way to help those who really are in need...thank you for doing it...and for Making My Monday, too!

Lisa said...

Yay! I love this kind of concrete charity. This is the kind of thing that sticks in the kids' minds forever. :)

Threeundertwo said...

That would make my Monday too!

MissJean said...

I wish your students could deliver with you. Several of my students have really been changed by doing "service hours". (Since we're a public school, it's "service" and not "charity", "HOLIDAY family adoption" and not Thanksgiving or Christmas.) What always gives me a lump in the throat is the transformation of low-income students when they realize that, as tough as things are for them, they can do something for someone else. A few years ago, students were donating part of their lunch money to help feed local families. A couple teens who received free lunch wanted to help. They scoured the ditches and roadsides for returnable bottles and cans, on foot, on a rainy weekend.