Sunday, October 9, 2011

Making Mondays in the Classroom

For years, Cheryl , a lovely woman and author, has used her perpetual perkiness to prompt her readers into writing positive thoughts each Monday for her Makes My Monday posts on her Twinfatuation blog. Bloggers from all over have participated and shared little bits of their lives for which they are grateful. This has been an uplifting, beginning- of-the-week pause for many.
Now, with Cheryl's permission, I am transporting her idea into my classroom in two useful ways.
First, written on the classroom whiteboard on Monday mornings will be the words What Makes Your Monday?
Nearby, post-its will be available for students to write their short notes about the good things that are happening in their lives right now. I'm expecting delightful little nuggets about weekend games, dances, and out-of -town visits. Of course, I know it may take a bit of authoritative, gentle nudging at first, but I'm confident the idea will stick...ha. (Get it? Stick?)
Next, I am a firm believer in sending good news notes home to parents, but unfortunately, time slips away from me, distractions lurk around every corner, and my brain forgets. There is no reason I can't take the Makes My Monday concept and use it as a reminder to send those notes home. Right?
Telling a mother that her son read a Dickens's passage so beautifully that the class wanted him to do it again?
Explaining to a father that his daughter is one of the best writers I've ever taught?
I'm thinking there are many super Monday Making possibilities here.
I look forward to getting this ball rolling.
(Thank you again Cheryl for your inspiration.)
On that note, I hope all your Mondays are filled with an abundance of delightful things.
post signature

3 comments:

Cheryl Lage said...

Can you put a post-it up for me? I am ever-so-grateful you're actively posting again...and I am excessively grateful that my family got away to VA Beach this happy October weekend. :)

LOVE you...and cannot thank you enough for the Makes My Monday spirit-spreading!

(Have PSed your return to posting on my MMM....it DOES MMM!)

Threeundertwo said...

What a great idea! I wish you were teaching my kids.

Terra said...

oh my goodness, the mere thought of this in the classroom gave me chills! What a fantastic idea! Please keep us posted!