Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Would You Mind Sliding Down the Pew and Making Room for My Refreshments?

I'm not sure if you could find many people who love coffee more than I do.
I l-o-v-e it.
I like the aroma of coffee, the ritual of coffee drinking, the cold weather pilgrimage to buy a delicious cup of too expensive coffee, and the good old fashioned coffee break.
Coffee completes me.
But...
I don't get this new trend I see of people bringing coffee into church.
Hot steaming cups of deliciousness accompany them to the pews.
Though I should be previewing the readings and saying some prayers, I sit watching in twisted fascination.
Really? What did I miss and when did this become okay?
The gum chewing was once hard for me to grasp, but at least that can be concealed in the mouth.
The coffee cup in the hand sends a different message.
I'm not sure what the message is but I find it all very peculiar.
I am a woman whose family didn't eat an hour before church and whose grandmother once put a napkin on her head because she didn't have a veil.
If I wear jeans on Sunday, I still can hear my dad's voice telling me that one never wears dungarees to church.
So, you can see why this new trend has caught my attention.
We can bring treats to church now?
We can make sure that we have everything we need with us to be comfortable for that long hour of sitting, singing, and praying?
Comfy cozy?
I'm all for it.
Maybe since it's autumn, next week I'll bring a piece of pumpkin pie to eat.
I'll slide into the pew with my plate, fork, and pie.
Next, I'll pull a can of whipped cream out of my purse and oh-so-quietly put some on top.
Then, I will relax and listen to the readings while nibbling on my slice of pumpkin heaven.
This sounds like a grand idea.
Hey- you know what would go well with all that?
Coffee.
post signature

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow. I've never seen that. I'd be horrible and watch to see if they went to communion too.

Aimee said...

WHA?!?! Who DOES that?! Like it's their living room or something!

I have never seen that at our parish, and I thought I was the meanie by frowning over the kids who have ipods/nintendo ds games in church. Sheesh.

PS: happy to see you back. :)

Cheryl Lage said...

Haven't seen the coffee yet in the pew proper, but must admit (dottering old lady that I am...) the texting and cell phone games get a big thumbs down from me.

Why can't kids just try and suppress laughter when the the minister says "duty" (that we always interpreted as "doody") and let THAT suffice for youthful distraction?

Are these grown-ups bringing the snacks? Any smokers yet? ;)

Laura said...

To be fair, my church does attract the tourists because it's right downtown and because it's beautiful...so I'm sure that has something to do with it. However, 10 years ago, I don't think people would have thought to do that.

Cathy Adamkiewicz said...

Whaaaat????

I hope your pastor sets them straight!

Barb, sfo said...

What Michelle said. And Cheryl, I am cracking up here!

Glad I'm not the only one whose parents never let them wear "dungarees" (and yes, that term was used) to church. I don't let my kids wear them either. Even though it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't.

Threeundertwo said...

Unbelievable. We are not to eat at all in the morning before Church (Greek Orthodox). I think the priest would throw someone out if they brought in coffee. That's why we have this magical get-together in the hall after every service. We call it - coffee hour.

Terra said...

laughing at the thought of you eating pie in church. My goodness, times they are a changing aren't they

TRS said...

unreal!!!

Maybe the tourist possibility is the connection... but wouldn't those people still be Catholic... and presumably know better?

My first thought was that maybe they were using a reusable mug for water. I'm a lector and when my throat is bugging me, which is often, I bring water to my pew to ensure that my voice holds out for the reading.

Other than that... I'm stumped and utterly dismayed!

kkollwitz said...

Sounds like what some non-denom churches do...can't imagine it in a catholic church.

Lisa said...

Oh. my. stars. This is not something I've seen -- nor expect to. Our pastor would have a cow. But then, in our Tridentine chapel, we all wear chapel veils and skirts and fast for three hours before receiving Communion... I'm thinking that relaxing of rules in VII just made a slippery slope that many people are very happy to slide down. Just sayin... Does the pastor never say anything about this when it occurs? (With Three Under Two, though... at our chapel, there's a stampede for the coffee in the rec hall after Mass.:)

The Smiths said...

oh wow!! definitely the post I needed to read this morning! I LOVE COFFEE!! and I have noticed this new trend of attending church with coffee in hand. Even our Sunday School teacher partakes! Thankfully, it's just during class time and not during the actual service.
But oh my! how funny would that be if you showed up with some pumpkin pie and then pulled out the whipped cream! Laughing now just thinking about it!!

Laura's Husband said...

What a well written post! Very easy and entertaining reading! You're my favorite blogger!

dj said...

I think the megachurches actually encourage this. Some even have cupholders.