Monday, January 9, 2012

What Does That Noodle & Paste Project Have to Do with Anything?

My nephew's girlfriend and I recently had an interesting chat about the skills she has found are most necessary in her very demanding marketing job. Guess what the number one required skill is?
Creativity.
In her position as a marketing representative, she is constantly asked to think about products in a new way and to develop stories about them. Because her degree is in business and her tendencies lean toward more logical and mathematical reasoning, this creativity demand is a challenge for her.
For a teacher like me, this information is refreshing. I read an abundance of current articles about how educators need to emphasize the sciences more and to invest more time in integrating technology. There is little attention currently being given to creativity in education media. This is all just peachy, but if you lack creative skills, where will these other more practical skills lead? Probably to a desk job where you take orders from a creative person who thinks outside the box and explores ideas with vigor.
So, I'm not going to worry about the practical aspects of writing goofy stories with my students or assigning enrichment projects to them. I have heard from a very reliable source that being creative and clever is much needed in today's "real" world. ( And, since, at 23, she already makes more money than I do, I'm confident she knows what she is talking about.)
post signature

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Amen to this! And it's not just because I'm a language Geek that I think the emphasis on Math and Science is overrated... But, I think a healthy combination of the two just makes sense. My husband has worked a lot with the international market and has said that the oriental education system produces great number crunchers, but they don't know what to do with the numbers once they've got them. Americans may not come up with the right figure, but they have a creative way of covering their butts when things hit the fan...